[Gnso-epdp-team] [Ext] Question to ICANN re: Data Escrow Data Processing Agreements

Trang Nguyen trang.nguyen at icann.org
Wed Dec 19 23:49:09 UTC 2018

Dear Kurt,

Thank you for your note. We do continue to have some concerns with recommendation 6 regarding data escrow providers, particularly as it relates to the roles and responsibilities of ICANN, the contracted parties, and escrow providers in the processing of gTLD registration data. We would appreciate further discussions with the EPDP Team on this topic.

Regarding paragraph 5 of your email, we’re unclear about the statement that “the EPDP Team has identified ICANN as the controller and the contracted parties and data escrow providers as processors.” We were under the impression that the discussion on this topic is still open as (1) we were asked to provide a table/graph that details the data escrow arrangements, and (2) we haven’t seen any analyses on this or documentation of consensus calls from the EPDP Team on this topic. If this is not correct, then please clarify for us. We’ve attached here a draft summary of the key points of these data escrow arrangements and look forward to continuing discussions with the EPDP Team.

Related, we’d like to make the EPDP Team aware that as part of the implementation of the Temp Spec (Appendix B), there is a set of parallel conversations going on regarding the necessary arrangements between ICANN, the data escrow providers, and contracted parties, which might help to inform the EPDP Team’s discussion on this topic as well.

Thanks again for your email and we look forward to continuing discussions with the EPDP Team on this topic.

Best,

Dan and Trang
ICANN Org Liaisons