[Gnso-epdp-team] For your review - revised language re. Geographic application

Plaut, Diane Diane.Plaut at corsearch.com
Fri Nov 9 22:05:19 UTC 2018

Dear Ayden and James,

We have read your input and respect it but applying privacy and data protection laws involves balance.  As the GDPR states, "the protection of personal data is not an absolute right; it must be considered in relation to its function in society and be balanced against other fundamental rights."  Those other fundamental rights include the rights to personal security, rights to protect one's creations, rights to be free from sexual exploitation and a host of other rights and interests, as you certainly appreciate.  For example, we heard in Barcelona from a Swedish law enforcement official that redaction of WHOIS data is impeding his unit's investigations into child sexual exploitation.  It seems to us, your approach is not adequately taking into account the fundamental balance of competing rights that need to be weighed in striking an appropriate application of privacy law.  We all value privacy rights but other rights must also be considered in balance, and although we may have different views from yours on the issue at hand, we feel just as strongly about ethical standards and ensuring those standards are met. We agree with James' statement that there is no such concept as "over-compliance" within privacy law--the accurate language, as written in our text is "over-application" rather than "over-compliance." Moreover, we point out that policy recommendations do not warrant the use of legal terms but descriptive language. There is legal and general definitional meaning of “over-application, ” but for full clarity purposes, we will amend our comments to: “misapplication of the GDPR specifically, and relevant data protection laws.”  Lastly, we point out, as Milton stated at the end of our last team call, we should not be editing other group’s comments. Therefore, while we will edit the above-noted language to take into account your sentiments, the intent and meaning of our comments should not be changed.

Sincerely,

Diane

Diane Plaut
General Counsel and Privacy Officer
[cid:image001.png at 01D3CA70.18FC1D40]
Direct +1 646-899-2806
diane.plaut at corsearch.com<mailto:diane.plaut at corsearch.com>

220 West 42nd Street, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10036, United States
www.corsearch.com<http://www.corsearch.com/>
Join Corsearch on   Twitter<https://twitter.com/corsearch>  Linkedin<https://www.linkedin.com/company/2593860/>  Trademarks + Brands<http://trademarksandbrands.corsearch.com/>
Customer Service/Platform Support: 1 800 SEARCH1™ (1 800 732 7241)
Corsearch.USCustomerService at corsearch.com<mailto:Corsearch.USCustomerService at corsearch.com>

Confidentiality Notice: This email and its attachments (if any) contain confidential information of the sender. The information is intended only for the use by the direct addressees of the original sender of this email. If you are not an intended recipient of the original sender (or responsible for delivering the message to such person), you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance of the contents of and attachments to this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender at the address shown herein and permanently delete any copies of this email (digital or paper) in your possession.