[Gnso-epdp-team] Report on Small team on roles & responsibilities in preparation for EPDP Team Meeting #25

Alan Woods alan at donuts.email
Tue Nov 13 11:33:56 UTC 2018

Thank you Thomas, and furthermore thank you for your very balanced approach
to the very surprising and frustrating events of last night's call.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here, and I echo your sentiments
in the last paragraph. I got the distinct impression (however far from the
truth that may be) that ICANN Org were holding their cards close to their
chest, and although having been at the table of the ePDP, appear to be open
to rejecting the work of the ePDP. These are discussions which should have
been had day 1, openly and transparently, and in fact this proves the
fundamental importance of the ePDP actually having substantive discussion
of the roles and responsibilities prior to the interim report publication.

To echo Thomas, and indeed Diane, who I also recall made the point very
well during the meeting, the hopes and wishes of the parties as to the
allocation of roles and responsibilities are irrelevant; such matters are
decided with reference alone to the legal reality and legal facts as to the
roles held in the processing situation. I would further note that a
statement made last night, (with the stated proviso that my audio dropped
and I rejoined just as this utterance occurred therefore I will need to
recheck the transcript for both context and accuracy), that ICANN Org is
not a controller as it does not itself perform actual processing of the
data; this concept of controllership is simply incorrect. I also heard this
statement in Abu Dhabi from ICANN and indeed from the same person, and I
also then raised my objection in an attempt to clarify. To hear it repeated
again, last night, was worrisome (to put it mildly).

I personally think, receipt of the memo, in its entirety, and not a mere
summary, as was promised in the dying moments of the meeting, is now hugely
necessary. I furthermore think at this point the question of independent
outside counsel for the eDPD is now, moreso than ever, a required step.

Kind regards,

Alan

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://donuts.domains>
Alan Woods
Senior Compliance & Policy Manager, Donuts Inc.
------------------------------
The Victorians,
15-18 Earlsfort Terrace
Dublin 2, County Dublin
Ireland

<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>   <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc>

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may
include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Donuts
Inc. . Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than
the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.