[Gnso-epdp-team] Draft Letter to EDPB

Alan Woods alan at donuts.email
Tue Nov 27 15:17:38 UTC 2018

Dear Kurt and team,

We appreciate the time and effort that has gone into the crafting of the
letter to the EDPB; however, we strongly suggest we do not engage the EDPB
at this time for the following reasons:

1) The letter essentially requests the EDPB to serve as a consultant to the
ePDP from whom we are requesting legal advice (and in some instances on
relatively straightforward interpretations of basic concepts of the law).
They are not going to resolve these issues, and may instead focus on the
fact that there remain major misunderstandings as to the law. If we require
a legal analysis of the interim report, we should engage a lawyer/law firm,
as has been repeatedly suggested.

2) The initial report does not present for review any concrete policy.
Instead it is a discordant document filled with tentative suggestions and
polarised arguments. The EDPB will not look favorably on a request to
review this collection of our divergent views on the application of the
data protection principles, which could burn much needed political capital
when the time comes to request their definitive position on our final (or
close to final) recommendations.

Ultimately, we do not disagree that EDPB engagement is critical, and indeed
the EPDP charter suggests submission at this point; however, the effort
should be coordinated in a more formal manner, and only when we have
something more cohesive and final to present (such that they are able and
willing to review and comment within the scope of their official
responsibilities and capacity). At a minimum, perhaps we should attempt to
formally follow up with the authors of previous advice to ICANN?

Kind regards,

Alan Woods
(On behalf of the CPH)

On Tue 27 Nov 2018 at 15:01, Plaut, Diane <Diane.Plaut at corsearch.com> wrote:

> Agreed Thomas, I too have read it and think it needs further work. I have
> started making suggested edits through redline and we can begin to share
> and discuss.
>

> Diane
>

> *Diane Plaut*
>
> General Counsel and Privacy Officer
>
> [image: cid:image001.png at 01D3CA70.18FC1D40]
>
> Direct +1 646-899-2806 diane.plaut at corsearch.com
>
> 220 West 42nd Street, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10036, United States
> www.corsearch.com
>
> Join Corsearch on   Twitter <https://twitter.com/corsearch>  Linkedin
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/2593860/>  Trademarks + Brands
> <http://trademarksandbrands.corsearch.com/>
>
> Customer Service/Platform Support: 1 800 SEARCH1™ (1 800 732 7241)
> Corsearch.USCustomerService at corsearch.com
>

> *Confidentiality Notice:* This email and its attachments (if any) contain
> confidential information of the sender. The information is intended only
> for the use by the direct addressees of the original sender of this email.
> If you are not an intended recipient of the original sender (or responsible
> for delivering the message to such person), you are hereby notified that
> any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action
> in reliance of the contents of and attachments to this email is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
> notify the sender at the address shown herein and permanently delete any
> copies of this email (digital or paper) in your possession.
>

> *From: *Gnso-epdp-team <gnso-epdp-team-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
> Thomas Rickert <epdp at gdpr.ninja>
> *Date: *Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM
> *To: *Kurt Pritz <kurt at kjpritz.com>
> *Cc: *"gnso-epdp-team at icann.org" <gnso-epdp-team at icann.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [Gnso-epdp-team] Draft Letter to EDPB
>

> Hi Kurt,
> I really enjoyed the „time off“, but unfortunately it was not without
> GDPR, but GDPR for clients and not for the EPDP :-).
>
> Thanks for sharing the draft letter. I think it is a good starting point
> for a discussion, but I would not endorse sending it in its current form
> for two reasons:
>
> 1. We should discuss as a team what areas we want to get input on.
>
> The „legal basis for escrow“ point - to me - is not relevant enough to
> bother the EDPB with. I would rather bring purpose 2 and the question of a
> joint controller scenario to the attention of the EDPB.
>
> 2. We need to write more
>
> We need to offer more background information to the EDPB. On natural vs.
> legal or the designation of third parties, we really need to put flesh to
> the bones and describe both the operational realities as well as the legal
> implications for the different scenarios more. The EDPB needs to be fed
> with all information relevant to their decision. We cannot expect them to
> know things or do research.
>
> Best,
> [...]

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://donuts.domains>
Alan Woods
Senior Compliance & Policy Manager, Donuts Inc.
------------------------------
The Victorians,
15-18 Earlsfort Terrace
Dublin 2, County Dublin
Ireland

<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>   <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc>

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may
include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Donuts
Inc. . Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than
the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.