[Gnso-epdp-team] 4.4. purpose overview

Thomas Rickert epdp at gdpr.ninja
Mon Sep 10 21:02:52 UTC 2018

Dear all,
Benedict and I have been working over the last few days to specify which parties pursue which purposes.

Please find attached a table with our results so far. We will talk you through what we did and why, so no need to spend much time on studying this. We know the document is sent to the list shortly before our upcoming call.

The table:

- lists the purposes as found in the Temp Spec
- lists the refined purposes based on the exchanges on the list so far. We have also made some edits
- lists additional purposes which we think are relevant, but which are not covered by the Temp Spec. You would need to let us know if there are additional purposes that we need to include
- has 4 columns for Registries, Registrars, ICANN and third parties. We have ticket the boxes of those groups which we think pursue a certain purpose

Looking at the list, we can then determine what purposes are pursued by individual parties only versus by multiple parties.

Note that the fact that a purpose ist listed there does not mean that the purpose will make it to our final recommendations. Not only will the language of certain purposes need to be refined, but we will also need to legally assess whether the purposes are sufficiently specific etc. Also, we will need to find a legal basis to support the purposes. So there will be much more discussion needed, but we think this might serve as a good starting point for our debate.

Note that whilst I have been on the phone with Benedict this evening (our time zone) to discuss things, he did not see the attached version, so he might have comments when we discuss this tomorrow.

All the best,
Benedict and Thomas