[Gnso-epdp-team] European Commission comments on Phase 1 report

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Wed Apr 24 08:14:52 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

I am with Milton here as I felt that the statements in the letter were
more than clear when it comes to disclosures to law enforcement and
third parties.  The purposes of law enforcement and third parties are
not purposes of ICANN and ICANN should stop trying to fit a square peg
through the round hole of its own purposes.

Law enforcement has legal rights under which access to data processed
for various other purposes may be requested, for example under Art. 6 I
(c) GDPR. Similarly, third parties will need a legal basis for any and
every access request and controllers must in their own responsibility
carry out a balancing between the rights of the data subject affected in
each case and the rights of the requester.

When they note under "Next Steps" that law enforcement needs a timely
and workable solution going forward to ensure the ability of LEAs to
access the data legitimately, that does not invalidate the basic legal
assumptions they make before that. On the contrary, it supports their
view that a disclosure model for LEAs that is compliant with the legal
requirements as well as stable, transparent and predictable is necessary.

No one said this was going to be easy but there is no contradiction in
the letter when it comes to its messages.

Best regards,

Volker Greimann