[Gnso-epdp-team] On the subject of ICANN's Bylaws...

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at icannpolicy.ninja
Wed Aug 14 12:43:43 UTC 2019

Hi Brian,

> On Aug 12, 2019, at 10:59 PM, King, Brian via Gnso-epdp-team <gnso-epdp-team at icann.org> wrote:

[SNIP]

> While I’d love to hear that folks outside of CSG and the ACs support redacting only data pertaining to registrants who are subject to GDPR (therefore eliminating the need for such a request), previous conversations in this EPDP do not support such an assumption. Until that particular pig grows its wings, the ALAC use case has even clearer merit.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here, so if you could clarify, I’d appreciate it. Recommendations 16 (differentiation based on a geo basis) and 17 (differentiation of legal vs natural persons) of phase 1 of the EPDP have somewhat settled the issue of applicability of GNSO recommendations to registrants, irrespective of wether or not they are subject to GDPR. There was good reason for these recommendations ending up the way they did. Obviously, we don’t all agree with this, but it is what it is.

Granted, that there is still ongoing work on the legal vs natural issue, but like Alan Woods has said in his email…, that discussion should be taking place on the priority 2 workstream. In the meantime, I don’t see how previous conversations on “this EPDP” characterize the outcomes of phase 1 as assumptions. They’re better characterized as GNSO policy recommendations adopted by the Board, and in the process of being implemented.

Thanks.

Amr