[Gnso-epdp-team] Approved questions from Legal Committee - Batch 1

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 01:34:30 UTC 2019

Thank you Caitlin

I would like to one more time to mention that this group was not a
representative group of EPDP. NCSG was under-represented vis a vis CSG,
which is unfortunate.

My comments on some of the questions:

"

   1. To what extent, if any, are contracted parties liable when a third
   party that accesses non-public WHOIS data under an accreditation scheme
   where by the accessor is accredited for the stated purpose, commits to
   certain reasonable safeguards similar to a code of conduct regarding use of
   the data, but misrepresents their intended purposes for processing such
   data, and subsequently processes it in a manner inconsistent with the
   stated purpose.  Under such circumstances, if there is possibility of
   liability to contracted parties, are there steps that can be taken to
   mitigate or reduce the risk of liability to the contracted parties?"

Why was it decided to add this question? We are supposed to have an SSAD
that facilitates disclosure but also holds the abusers of WHOIS data
accountable. If the law has assigned liability to this case it is to
incentivize the parties to conduct the disclosure with due diligence and
care and have an interest in holding the abuser accountable. By asking this
question (and asking for mitigating liability in general) we are weakening
the data protection system in WHOIS. I don't think that is our aim. Our aim
is to facilitate disclosure and protecting domain name registrants data.

****

Q: 3. is it legally permissible under Article 6(1)(f) to:
>  define specific categories of requests from accredited parties (e.g.
> rapid response to a malware attack or contacting a non-responsive IP
> infringer), for which there can be automated submissions for non-public
> WHOIS data, without having to manually verify the qualifications of the
> accredited parties for each individual disclosure request, and/or

Didn't we specifically say that having "user groups" should not result in
"automation of disclosure"? I understand that you are talking about
"categories of requests" here but also you are talking about automating the
"accredited parties" submission and disclosure without checking their
qualifications every time. I am concerned that this might actually lead to
creating user groups request/disclosure automation.

In addition, if it is not possible to automate any of these steps, please
> provide any guidance for how to perform the balancing test under Article
> 6(1)(f).

Can we please ask the question on how to perform a balancing test
regardless of being able to automate disclosure/submission steps? Unless
you want to ask how to carry out a balancing test while also automating the
steps. If that is the case I think it should be clearer and please refrain
from using the passive voice especially in Q 3. Also a general question
about how to carry out the balancing test might not be a bad idea since we
are in a deadlock about it.

Best

Farzaneh

Farzaneh