[Gnso-epdp-team] Zero-Draft Doc- Assessment of the data being requested

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Fri Aug 30 13:00:59 UTC 2019

That seems a bit of an extreme interpretation. We agreed not to make no
differentiation based on geo for the smple fact that anything else would be
an administrative nightmare.
There are so many variables why a set of data may be protected under the
GDPR (and comparable regulations) that it seemed unfeasible to design a
system that made such differentiations.

Consider the following scenarios triggering protection just under GDPR:
-Registrar in EU
-Reseller in EU
-Registry in EU
-Reseller of reseller (whom we usually do not know) in the EU
-Registrant in EU
-Other Contact in EU
-Registrar outside the EU, but processing in the EU (For example using a
Registrar backend service)
-Registry outside the EU, but processing in the EU (For example using a
Registry backend service)
-Registrar outside the EU, Reseller outside the EU but reseller processing
in the EU
and many many more.

Having to look at each data set like this individually is simply not
feasible for a contracted party, hence the decision (and need) to simply
treat all data as protected.

And while I hate to contradict you Brian, the potentially problematic part
is never the act of withholding, and always the act of disclosing, at least
from a liability perspective.

--
Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>