[Gnso-epdp-team] Recommendation on privacy/proxy data.

Alex Deacon alex at colevalleyconsulting.com
Sat Feb 2 19:57:26 UTC 2019

Thanks Alan.  As always I appreciate your input and views.  A few thoughts
and questions on your proposed solution.

First, given all of the "MAYs" in your suggested update, it is not clear to
me how this will be translated in the implementation phase.  Specifically
it is a no-op from a compliance point of view.   I understand this may be
the main reason for your update, but we end up with a Recommendation with
little value.

Second, given the general agreement that we avoid "squishy" language in our
purposes and recommendations, the language you propose is unclear (to me at
least).  If a Registrar or Registry decides to not return P/P data or the
"existing p/p pseudonymized email” does that mean no email address will be
available in a public response?  If so that seems to go against our
existing Contractibility purpose (Purpose 3).  (Alan G made this point I
believe.)    Or does this language assume that there will be  a Registrar
pseudonymized email that points to a P/P pseudonymized email?    Both seem
problematic.

Third, regarding the language you point out in Recital 26 of the GDPR, its
not clear to me it applies in the privacy/proxy context, where the only the
psuedonymized email could be seen as personal.   Perhaps this would be a
good question to pose to Ruth.   From what I understand if a processor were
to publish or disclose multiple personal data, one of which was a
pseudonym, and if that collection of data could be used to render the
pseudonym identifiable, then the pseudonym would be considered to be
personal data.   For responses that only included P/P data this wouldn't be
the case.

Fourth, I appreciate your concern that it may not be possible to figure out
a P/P provider  and suggest we can use the language in the RAA (Section 2)
to be more specific here - essentially limit it (for now) to affiliated
services.     e.g. “For any Proxy Service or Privacy Service offered by the
Registrar or its Affiliates, including any of Registrar's or its
Affiliates' P/P services distributed through Resellers, and used in
connection with Registered Names Sponsored by the Registrar,".   In the
future, and once the PPIRT completes, all accredited P/P services will be
flagged in RDS/WHOIS (PPSAI Recommendation 4) so this issue will be solved.

Finally, I continue to believe we can find a pragmatic solution where we
eliminate (or perhaps minimize) the situation where P/P data is returned in
response to a "reasonable disclosure" request.    It is a very inefficient
use of time/cycles for both the requestor and person responsible for
manually processing these requests.   This was the main reason for the Temp
Spec language and this new Recommendation.   If we can't address this issue
in this new Rec then perhaps language needs to be added to Rec 12 to
address this case....

Apologies for the long email.

Alex

*Alex Deacon*