[Gnso-epdp-team] Recommendation 13 - Responsibilities of the Parties - email list discussion

Emily Taylor emily.taylor at oxil.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 13:05:54 UTC 2019

Hi all

I support Alan's point of view. While I understand the need to retain
flexibility, and to avoid overly restrictive language that will cause
problems later on, the word 'arrangement' could mean almost anything - from
something that imposes legal benefits and responsibilities to something
that's very informal, undocumented and just a way of working.

So, I support use of the word 'agreement' instead of 'arrangement'.

Best wishes

Emily

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 1:02 PM Alan Woods <alan at donuts.email> wrote:

> Just to be exceptionally clear and although I do not wish to belabor the
> point any farther, I still submit, on the record, that the correct term to
> be used in the recommendation is 'AGREEMENT'
>
> Whereas I appreciate that ICANN have mirrored the GDPR language of Art 26
> in their use of the word of 'arrangement' I believe it would make more
> sense to consider the subsequent interpretation of their lead DPA (i.e
> Belgium, as confirmed by the Belgian Autorité de Protection des Données
> (APD) letter of 15th January 2019
> <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/debeuckelaere-to-marby-15jan19-en.pdf> and
> the therein referenced letter of September 26th, 2018
> <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/debeuckelaere-to-marby-26sep18-en.pdf>
> ).
>
> I would therefore respectfully submit that it remains more proper for our
> recommendation to therefore consider and mirror the Belgian legislatures
> and the APD's interpretation of the GDPR as being our  guiding, if not
> determinative factor:
>
> *1)*  *Article 52* of the  Loi relative à la protection des personnes
> physiques à l’égard des traitements de données à caractère personnel (30
> July 2018)
> <http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi/loi_a.pl?language=fr&dt=LOI&chercher=t&choix1=ET&fr=f&choix2=ET&numero=12&table_name=LOI&fromtab=loi_all&imgcn.x=32&DETAIL=2018073046/F&nm=2018040581&imgcn.y=3&ddda=2018&sql=dt+contains++%27LOI%27+and+dd+=+date%272018-07-30%27and+actif+=+%27Y%27&rech=12&tri=dd+AS+RANK+&trier=promulgation&dddj=30&cn=2018073046&row_id=1&caller=image_a1&dddm=07&la=F&pdf_page=10&pdf_file=http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/mopdf/2018/09/05_1.pdf> (see
> page 27 of the Gazette as linked) requires
>
>  " *Un accord définit de manière transparente les obligations respectives
>> des responsables conjoints de traitement*, " [emphasis added],
>

> Which translates to "*an agreement* which defines the respective
> obligations of the joint controllers" [emphasis added]
>
> *2)* The  APD have also released a legal notation of the July 2018 law
> <https://www.autoriteprotectiondonnees.be/sites/privacycommission/files/documents/Notions_RT_ST.pdf>,
> and they note the joint controller requirement as being "*par voie
> d’accord*' (see page three under heading   or again to translate, is an
> "by agreement". (see page 3 under the heading "*Responsables conjoints de
> traitment"*)
>
> Therefore I still believe and submit that the ePDP teams original wording
> of "agreement" should stand, and I don't believe that ICANN's reference to
> their past statement i.e.  "*arrangement”* could take the form of an
> agreement, a policy, or a specification" is sufficient as it dilutes the
> expectation of the APD. This is not sufficiently specific in the
> circumstances; nor does it provide the comfort that the ePDP team is
> seeking in this recommendation from ICANN.

> [...]

Emily Taylor

CEO, Oxford Information Labs
*MA (Cantab), Solicitor (non-practising), MBA, *

*A**ssociate Fellow, Chatham House; Editor, Journal of Cyber Policy*

Lincoln House, Pony Road, Oxford OX4 2RD | T: 01865 582885
E: emily.taylor at oxil.co.uk | D: 01865 582811 | M: +44 7540 049322

<http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/pgas/rcyb-cfp-2017>
<http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/pgas/rcyb-cfp-2017>

Registered office: Lincoln House, 4 Pony Road, Oxford OX4 2RD. Registered
in England and Wales No. 4520925. VAT No. 799526263

.