[Gnso-epdp-team] For your review: updated recommendations 10, 11, 12

Alan Woods alan at donuts.email
Mon Feb 11 11:15:31 UTC 2019

Dear all,

*Recommendation 12 (removal of the word 'REQUESTS')*

Whereas I appreciate Ashley's reasoning, I so not support removal of the
reference to "requests". The process and the recommendation are linked
wholly to the making of the request, and ensuring that those person who
wish to rely on such requests have some form of assurance that the
contracted parties will not 'ignore' such requests.  The way it is
currently read, poses a worry that it suggests that the policy may
interfere in the actual decision relating to disclosure or not. This
decision will be a decision of the contracted party alone, and should that
decision be incorrect, or someone feels aggrieved by the substantive
decision, their recourse will never be to ICANN, only to a DPA, or the
courts, to complain about failing to meet a legal obligation contained with
a EEA regulation.  Our purpose here is to ensure that a requester has
certain guarantees about the procedural, how to make, where to make, how
long generally, and the reasoning a decision is made that does not favor
release.

*Civil claim requests only*

Regarding Thomas' addition, I would support what he has stated and is
trying to achieve.

Law Enforcement dealing with matters of criminal cases should never feel
like they need to rely on the process as outlined in Recommendation 12. The
CPs (again noting the Good actors in the space --- the others are beyond my
reach) will always engage with LEAs and discuss access for lawful reasons
and the process by which we need to figure this figuring this out - also
this is already a requirement of the RAs under Spec 11 for the most part. I
find that this conversation is huge overreach for the ePDP.

With that I would make the following statements in support of Thomas'
assertion (i.e. LEA's may make requests as the law allows / requires):

1) Any law enforcement official, in the course of their duties as an
officer of the law, is acting in the public interest, and the paragraph
proceeding Art 6(1)f is very clear
"*Point (f) of the first subparagraph shall not apply to processing carried
out by public authorities in the performance of their tasks.*" Therefore
any request from a LEA based on 6(1)(f) for EEA data will be automatically
deemed as not having a legal basis.

2)LEAs who wish access to data, and where such a LEA does not have
jurisdiction then it is for them to go through the proper legal channels to
request access. As LEAs, such requests will ALWAYS be considered a public
authority exercising their interest under either  6(1)(c) , (d) or (e) as
the remaining basis for such requests:

*a) 6(1)(c)* - *processing is necessary for compliance with a legal
obligation to which the controller is subject* - legal basis will have to
be established (this related to EEA data only, however jurisdiction of both
the LEA and the CP are necessary considerations here) (recommendation 12
process is unnecessary)
*b) 6(1)(d) *- *processing is necessary in order to protect the vital
interests of the data subject or of another natural person;* again only
applicable to EEA data, but again I do urge law enforcement who are making
such access requests to consider that in order to justify 'vital interest
protection' we are looking at time sensitive matters and a very high bar,
and surely in such urgent situations LEA should be reliant on other
mechanisms that don't rely on the process of recommendation 12.
*c) 6(1)(e) Public interest - as per Art 6(3)* this interest must be based
on EU or Member State law - To be frank, in this instance properly
establish Public Interest Requests under 6(1)(e) should never have to go
through the recommendation 12 process. LEAs should be ringing the front
doorbell with such requests, and any CP should be jumping through hoops to
see to them. We also don't require ICANN to tell us to do this. If we fail
to meet such requests, censure from ICANN compliance will be the least of
our worries.

So frankly, recommendation 12 is aimed at providing process for civil
claims. I understand the apparent feeling that LEA's are 'left out in the
cold' by this; however, this could not be farther from the truth. LEAs
should be making the CPs jump through the hoops, not vice versa. And if the
LEA does not have the legal basis, or authority to make us jump through
said hoops, then the LEA should be wondering about the basis for their
request, and far more 'non-epdp' matters such as the admissibility of their
evidence and the fruits of the poison tree.

Alan

PS and optional to the extreme, but where non-EEA data may not be
'protected' by the GDPR, and we are stating that a LEA may assert their
'authority' to access that data under recommendation 12, we are encroaching
onto a very unstable ground. To be clear, CPs are not guardians of the
privacy rights of their registrant, nor am I saying should we second guess
the laws of other nations; however, I would urge the ePDP team to think of
the unintended consequences here. We do not wish to make this process
difficult, however not all LEAs are 'good' players, and a CP should be
mindful that the effect that our releases may have, to all data subjects,
regardless whether or not the GDPR or similar law applies. I would suspect
that this is something that the ALAC and the NCSG would be very supportive
of. e.g. As a registry operator, should I provide a representative of
certain Law Enforcement Authority of a certain African nation with the
redacted data of registrant who is has a TLD associated with fighting for
LGBT rights in that particular African nation? Or should we insist upon a
Subpoena from an authority who can compel me to do so - or feel free to not
respond until we approached through 'formal channels',  which the expansion
of recommendation 12 would not allow us to do? Should we make this part of
our recommendation that ICANN can see fit to compel us to answer such
requests simply because they come from a LEA? I leave this as a post script
only, speaking in a personal capacity, as this area is far too much of a
minefield, and is a huge area of global concern for us regardless of the
GDPR reach, and for a separate forum! We should ensure and be stead fast in
requiring strict legal procedures for LEA requests (which the CPs are
exceptionally willing to discuss and sort out), and therefore not allow
recommendation 12 to unnecessarily side step such a discussion.

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://donuts.domains>
Alan Woods
Senior Compliance & Policy Manager, Donuts Inc.
------------------------------
The Victorians,
15-18 Earlsfort Terrace
Dublin 2, County Dublin
Ireland

<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>   <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc>

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may
include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Donuts
Inc. . Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than
the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.