[Gnso-epdp-team] BC Consensus Call Responses

Matt Serlin matt at brandsight.com
Mon Feb 18 00:21:48 UTC 2019

Thanks Margie for sending this over and I appreciate the time that I’m sure was put into this. I have a few initial comments but let me be clear these are my own personal comments and not those of the RrSG.

While I appreciate (and even personally agree with many of the “minor amendments” you have put forth, I strongly object to the manner in which they have been put forth. The reality is that this group of volunteers have spent thousands of hours discussing and debating these very issues. Everyone had the opportunity to have their views heard and I recall many of these points being discussed among the group, so I don’t believe anyone’s voice was silenced in the process.

The fact that not every group’s views were accepted and included in the report is how it should work in this multi-stakeholder model that we have. If every group had the expectation of always getting their way, how could this possible be successful?

Take the discussion of the organization field as an example…contracted parties started off with a position of redaction while other groups started with full display. After lengthy discussion and debate, everyone compromised, and we ended up with something in the middle. I pointed to that very issue the other day in describing our work to the broader RrSG team as a successful outcome in the process.

How would other groups feel if now we can back and said, “actually for us to sign off on this report, we need to go back to full redaction of the organization field…” I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but what’s to stop every other group from now putting forth their “minor amendments” in order to support the full report.

To be clear, I am not speaking for the RrSG and my comments are in no way a reflection of my views on the substance of your points. I’m simply disappointed we have come this far and are so close to a milestone only to seemingly have our entire body of work held hostage.

I’m also unsure of how we move forward…you’ve indicated you look forward to “constructive engagement” yet you’re clear that your support is contingent on your five amendments.

Apologies for the rant, but thank you for your willingness to read this far ☺

Best regards,
Matt