[Gnso-epdp-team] Process for email discussion lists

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Fri Jan 25 23:40:15 UTC 2019

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for your comments to the mail discussion lists thus far. (You will be glad to know there are a couple more to come!)

I know it is somewhat daunting to have these different discussion chains distributed, keeping track of them all and trying to coordinate a position among your groups. Please be assured that:
(1) this approach I think is necessary to meet our target dates, but
(2) if there is a need to have a verbal discussion on any issue (small group or plenary), we will pause to do that.

Now that some comments have been shared, here are some reactions, a slight mid-course correction, and the process for closure.

1) First, it is GREAT that the team seems engaged on the review of the proposed recommendations.

2) Edits should be suggested on behalf of groups, not individuals - to give us a chance at gauging support and also to give us a chance at making our time frames. (We are making this assumption on comments made to date.)

3) As always, please resist wordsmithing. Some of these recommendations were thoroughly negotiated previously. (But we understand short edits can be meaningful and that one word can make a significant difference.)

4) Briefly explain your rationale. While a reason for making a certain amendment might seem to be self-evident to one person, it might be a mystery to another. Others can more easily get behind a recommendation if it is explained.

With regards to closing these off, note that each individual “comment forum” has a due date. At the close of each deadline, the support team will state that we have reached the deadline and we will come back to you with questions or a new version (or both) the next business day. Perhaps for each of these, this announcement could be sort of a final warning and that you will have 12 more hours (or say 8 daylight hours in your time zone) to finish an additional comment while we go about the task of compiling them.

I hope this is helpful to you. Thank you agiain, good luck and have the best weekend you can.

Best regards,

Kurt