[Gnso-epdp-team] FW: Responses to rr input

Sarah Wyld swyld at tucows.com
Wed Jul 31 17:04:20 UTC 2019

**

*Hello,*

***

Thanks for your patience as we worked through these open topics. For
ease of reading, I will include only the specific sections to which we
are responding, having already reached agreement in the other areas.

● In section (c), there is the expectation that not only redacted data
is provided in the

SSAD, but also data which are publicly available. The SSAD should be
restricted to

providing only non-public registration data which was previously public,
and should not

include currently-public data.

> We feel this gives an increased accuracy in processing the data, could you give a reason why this data should not be given by the disclosing party.

Our initial input on this section was intended to focus disclosure
easily obtained in various ways. That said, we do agree that it is
important to streamline this process to the greatest extent possible,
and so we can accept this requirement in the interests of providing a
prompt investigation flow.

● Section (d) indicates the “Lawful basis of entity disclosing
non-public registration data to

the requestor” as 6 (1) f (legitimate interest). This is acceptable as
the basis on which the

disclosing entity provides the data, however we do note that the
requestor needs to also

indicate the legal basis for the request itself, which is likely to be 6
(1) e (public interest)

> Legal basis for the requestor is under section e

The section (e) response says: “The GDPR explicitly recognizes the
importance of data processing for the “Prevention, investigation,
detection or prosecution of criminal offences data processing is also
permissible in the event of objection by the data subject. This interest
is also explicitly recognized for data transfers to non-EU countries,
Art. 49 (1) (e) GDPR.”

This does not appear to specify a legal basis for the disclosure, which
we had expected to see here, other than the GDPR as a whole. However,
the purpose of this section (e) is “Supporting info to determine lawful
basis for the requestor” so perhaps it’s not necessary to specify here,
and instead this section would need to include more contextual
information including information about the alleged crime being
investigated, etc, from which a legal basis can be arrived at.

● In section (e), jurisdiction should also be part of the supporting
info that is provided with

the disclosure request, and there are related questions that the plenary
team should

consider. E.g., does an LEA have the authority to request non-public
data from a

non-local controller and does the non-local controller have a legal

obligation/dispensation to provide such data to a foreign LEA.

> If the requestor is using 6.1f then no compulsion from the LEA is being used. Having the authority to request data would be dealt with under by accreditation /authentication but must be confirmed before release safeguard suggestion below would hopefully cover this?

Our team is having trouble understanding what is intended by the
accreditation/authentication reference here. Perhaps you could elaborate?

● In section (g), the disclosing entity should have an additional
safeguard: they must be

enabled to verify the legal authority of the LEA to make the request.

> Via a accreditation /authentication method?

Verification and authentication are two separate processes that
eventually lead to a situation where a request can be made. However, the
receiving party of the request will have to verify the request to ensure
that the requesting party does have the authority to make the request,
which may not be assumed based on their accreditation (although perhaps
it could be). The system that we create should have this built in.

● Also in section (g), the RrSG notes the addition of this text: “The
data subject should be

able to challenge–with proper substantiation—the balancing test with
rights to object and

to erasure.” The right to erasure would seem to apply not to data
disclosed through the

SSAD but instead to the data held by the Controller; how would the right
to erasure be

operationalized here?

> Applicable to the disclosuring body so an erasure in this case would be removal of the Domain name and all related records assuming they are the rr/ry else another body would be the deletion of any records held (assuming any are held).

Does this “removal of the Domain name and all related records” mean
removal from the SSAD or from the Registrar/Registry who holds the data
which is disclosed via the SSAD? The SSAD will not necessarily hold the
registration data, instead it could pass the data through when needed
and keep logs showing what was done, without retaining the disclosed
data. In that case, there would be no data to erase from SSAD, unless
this referred to the requestor’s data? And if it referred to the erasure
from Registrar or Registry, that request would need to be directed to
them, not to the SSAD operator. The inclusion of the right to erasure
here does not seem to fit.

● Also in (h), the RrSG is pleased to note that the disclosure is
limited to the current

registration data set, and will not include historical records. We would
suggest also that

this be limited to specific domains, bulk requests should not be considered.

> By bulk do you mean unrelated or do you mean multiple domains?

We meant multiple, but unrelated applies here as well.

● Section (j) is strangely worded and the RrSG could not parse the
intent of the section;

we would appreciate clarification from the GAC team.

> From earlier input we would suggest adding jurisdiction and  legal basis to this

That would be helpful, agreed. Does the GAC team plan to update the
redlined use case again, to incorporate this and the other input and
discussion above?

There was a further point re SLA, which was also the focus of
significant discussion a recent team call. Sorting out SLA questions
should remain as a larger issue and not be specific to one use case, so
we won’t address that further in this thread.

For section (n), desirability of automation, we agree that further
discussion would benefit.

Thank you,

Sarah W

*