[Gnso-epdp-team] US demands social media details from visa applicants

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Jun 3 12:48:45 UTC 2019

(speaking in my personal capacity here)

I do not think this should be a factor considered in where we have our face-to-face meeting.

There is no one jurisdiction where everyone, no matter their nationality, is able to travel to without some kind of burecreatic hiccup.

I may not like this question being added to a visa application (and I don't), but at the same time, it has been a question on the ESTA application for several years, and I have never heard of anyone being denied entry because of a social media post or because they blocked the President on Twitter.

And there are many questions on US visa applications that seem to have little value anyway, i.e. have you committed genocide? are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization? are you seeking to enter the US to commit a crime?

They all have as much value as the "did you pack these bags yourself" question that is asked when checking in luggage at the airport.

It might be a factor that ICANN org needs to consider, as part of its human rights impact assessment that the meeting team has committed to conducting, but my perhaps unpopular preference would be that face-to-face meetings take place in a location which is convenient and would require minimal travel for the vast majority of members.

Apparently the Toronto meeting cost 150% that of the Los Angeles one only a few months earlier -- and more members were unable to acquire Canadian visas then were unable to acquire US ones. While cost should not be our only consideration in where to hold meetings, I think it should be one factor.

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline