[Gnso-epdp-team] Fwd: EPDP Team resources request

Alex Deacon alex at colevalleyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 27 17:08:27 UTC 2019


Any decision to hold a day zero meeting needs to be confirmed as soon as
possible to allow for proper advanced planning.  Once (cheaper) airfare is
booked it is often impossible/very costly to change.


On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 9:54 AM Ayden Férdeline <icann at ferdeline.com> wrote:

> That is a good point, Alan.
> I would also note that venue space is likely to be limited, with the GNSO
> room (which we typically use) likely to be in use by the GNSO Council, RPM
> working group, and Subsequent Procedures working group, if not others,
> during the four day meeting. So we may not even have the space available
> for a full-day meeting unless it happens on Day 0.
> Best wishes,
> Ayden
> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
> On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:56 AM, Alan Greenberg <
> alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
> The problem with that is some (many?) of us are also involved with other
> activites that fill the days.
> Alan
> --
> Sent from my mobile. Please excuse brevity and typos.
> On March 27, 2019 2:52:18 PM GMT+09:00, Kurt Pritz <kurt at kjpritz.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Rafik:
>> Thanks for doing this - especially the request for release of resources
>> in a way that enables the team to retain its momentum.
>> I have been thinking about the June meeting in Marrakech, and it struck
>> me that an extra day at the start of the meeting is not required. The
>> Marrakech meeting is a Policy Forum, intended to provide extended periods
>> to focus on specific policy initiatives. There is no opening ceremony,
>> public forum, constituency day, etc.
>> It seems that the policy forum was developed to address issues exactly
>> such as the one before us. Can we not take 2 1/2 -3 days of the policy
>> forum to have an effective face-to-face meeting (such as the ones in LA and
>> Toronto)? It seems that this is the policy forum’s raison d’être.
>> The cost avoidance would be significant. Hotel accommodations for 30+
>> (everyone would save their employers a few hundred bucks), plus ICANN
>> support costs and facility rental. By spending 2 1/2 to 3 days in Marrakech
>> (rather than one day) we would obviate the need for an immediate
>> face-to-face meeting.
>> The cost savings might go to the few without travel funding to Marrakech.
>> Can we ask that the schedule accommodate this policy effort?
>> Best regards,
>> Kurt
>> On Mar 25, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Based on our deliberations during Kobe meeting, I sent this letter with
>> request for immediate resources for phase 2 to GNSO Council for
>> consideration.
>> I also included a request for pre-meeting in Marrakesh. The request
>> needed to be made now because the deadline (26th March) for such meeting
>> requests but I still welcome input on whether or not to go ahead with the
>> pre-meeting.
>> Best Regards,
>> Rafik
>> ---------- Forwarded message ---------
>> De : *Rafik Dammak* <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>
>> Date: mar. 26 mars 2019 à 13:12
>> Subject: EPDP Team resources request
>> To: Drazek, Keith <kdrazek at verisign.com>
>> Cc: Council GNSO <council at gnso.icann.org>
>> Dear Keith,
>> As directed by the GNSO Council, the EPDP Team has commenced its work on
>> phase 2 by focusing on the development of a work plan and timeline for the
>> phase 2 deliberations.
>> As part of these discussions, the EPDP Team is also expected to identify
>> whether any additional resources are needed, beyond the traditional support
>> that is provided to GNSO policy development activities, to meet the
>> milestones and timeline proposed. The EPDP Team would like to recognize the
>> critical importance of the additional resources provided for phase 1 in
>> facilitating the deliberations and allowing the EPDP Team to deliver a
>> Final Report within the timeframe provided.
>> The EPDP Team wants to ensure that any specific resource requests are
>> fiscally responsible by demonstrating clear alignment with the work plan
>> and timeline, as such, some additional time will be needed to formulate any
>> such requests. Nevertheless, there are some immediate resources that the
>> EPDP Team considers crucial in supporting the initial stages of phase 2 and
>> as such we would like to request that the GNSO Council petition the ICANN
>> Board to provide immediate support for the following resources:
>> ·      Continued availability of legal counsel, following the same
>> process and approach in phase 1 (any questions are vetted through the legal
>> committee);
>> ·      Continued support for telecom services and transcriptions, but to
>> reduce costs, transcriptions would have a 72 hour turnaround time (instead
>> of 24 hour);
>> ·      Mediation support for the EPDP Team meetings at ICANN65 in
>> Marrakesh.
>> Some have also requested that travel support is to be made available for
>> ICANN65 for EPDP Team members who would otherwise not be able to attend and
>> where no alternate is able to step in. We leave it up to the Council’s
>> discretion to determine whether this is a reasonable request to include
>> with the above.
>> In order to take full advantage of the face-to-face opportunity that
>> Marrakesh offers and minimize conflict with other meetings, we would also
>> like to request support for organizing a one day face-to-face meeting on
>> day zero of ICANN65. A request for such a meeting would need to be made by
>> 26 March at the latest and is subject to approval by ICANN Org as well as
>> availability of facilities. If such a request is granted, this would also
>> require funded travelers to arrive a day earlier than normally foreseen,
>> including an additional hotel night.
>> We look forward to receiving your feedback. If you have any questions or
>> would like to discuss this request further, please let me know.
>> Best Regards,
>> Rafik Dammak
>> Interim Chair and GNSO Council liaison to the EPDP Team
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gnso-epdp-team mailing list
>> Gnso-epdp-team at icann.org
>> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/gnso-epdp-team
> _______________________________________________
> Gnso-epdp-team mailing list
> Gnso-epdp-team at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/gnso-epdp-team
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-epdp-team/attachments/20190327/88906850/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Gnso-epdp-team mailing list