[Gnso-epdp-team] European Commission comments on Phase 1 report - additional information

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Fri May 3 14:21:16 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

it really depends what one means by the term Unified Access Model.

Currently under the temp spec, we have a system that introduces many
uncertaincies as basically every contracted party is asked to make up
their own access model and define the terms of access. A requester does
not clearly know what is being required to be granted disclosure and
many contracted parties also have difficulties defining hard and fast rules.

Clearly, this is unsustainable for the future, as the EC clearly states
as a requester will have to accommodate the requirements of every single
model and still will not have certaincy of the disclosure. However this
does not mean that the basic principle is flawed.

Ultimately, the existing models developed by the parties will have to be
condensed or refined into a unified model with clear rules of what is
being expected of them when they make a request and that provides for a
set of requirements that when met will result in a certain outcome. This
model can still take into account the various legal requirements a
contracted party may face under its applicable jurisdiction, but it
would reduce the variety that a requester has to put in.

Lets take the following example:

Law enforcement agencies A and B  are in different jurisdictions. A is
in the jurisdiction of the contracted party holding the data, B is not.
Under a unified model, both would now be able to immediately find out
the requirements for disclosure of the data needed for their
investigation. Ideally, the template to use for them would be the same
but the output they get may be different. All EU Member States
authorities' would  under such a model obtain the ability to obtain
legitimate access to the data needed to enforce laws in compliance with
the requirements and restrictions put in place by the applicable
national laws.

I am sure no one here is advocating or proposing we allow anyone to
circumvent the restrictions put in place by the applicable national laws.

Accreditation and certification also still have a place as they reduce
the time needed to provide evidence of identity of the requester from
having to do this every time to having to do this only every couple of
years.

I do not see a conflict with anything I have proposed with anything in
the response letter. Nothing in that letter requires an all-access model.

Developing a unified access model that meets the needs of law enforcment
and public agencies withjin the framework of their right to access such
data provided for in their applicable national laws is absolutely
doable, centrally or distributedly implementable and consistent with the
advice we just received.

Best regards,

Volker