[Gnso-epdp-team] Access vs Disclosure and Centralized vs Decentralized

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu May 16 03:07:29 UTC 2019

I would find the discussions of these two issues quite humorous if it was not for how much time we have and will spend on them, and the fact that the debates will take time and effort away from real issues.

Access vs Disclosure

They are the same thing, but from different perspectives. From the perspective of the entity holding the data (primarily the contracted parties in our case), information they hold and may be responsible for is being "disclosed". From the perspective of the entity requesting the data, it is a matter of them "accessing" it.

We can certainly define new meanings for these words as suggested on slide 3. But long experience has shown that when you attempt to define existing words in a way that is different from the dictionary meaning (ie {"access" is only for the data subject) people always revert back to the dictionary definitions and cause untold confusion.

Centralized vs Decentralized

Any real world solution that will be usable by those who will need data, and be supportable by those who hold the data, will have components that are decentralized and components that a centralized (and yet perhaps replicated for reliability). For example there will likely be common places at which to make a request, and accreditation for a given type of requestor may be centralized, yet the data will almost certainly reside in highly decentralized places.

Let's focus on how the work will be done and not worry about global labels.

Alan