[Gnso-epdp-team] Response to 10 May letter re. collaboration with EPDP Team

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Thu May 16 21:55:32 UTC 2019

Sending on behalf of Göran Marby, President & CEO ICANN

Dear Janis,

Thank you for your email sharing the EPDP Team initial views.

Noting yours and the Team’s remarks with respect to the time the constitution of a small group may consume as well as your proposal to the Team to use a plenary format, I invite all the members of the EPDP Team to work with ICANN org on the topics under consideration if this is the Team’s preference.

With respect to the expected scope of work, I reiterate the work that ICANN org has been supporting in relation to a UAM based on the model proposed by the TSG has as its objective to determine whether this would diminish the legal liability of contracted parties, who would provide access to non-public registration data. As noted, further work needs to be undertaken to help inform the discussions with the European Commission and Data Protection Authorities, before an answer can be provided.

ICANN org is currently working to map next steps needed before a determination can be made on whether a UAM based on the model proposed by the TSG can diminish the legal liability of contracted parties, following which we will suggest a mode of operation on this work with the EPDP Team.

Similarly, with respect to timeline, it is premature to commit to a particular duration at this stage. I note however that ICANN org would like to have clarity on whether the proposed model reduces exposure of contracted parties to liability related to disclosure of non-public registration data the soonest possible, hoping that this will help inform the EPDP Team’s deliberations.

My team remains available should you have any further questions or require further information.

Finally, I would like to repeat I remain at the EPDP’s disposal to channel to the Data Protection Authorities any questions that would help the Team with their ongoing or future work.

Kind Regards,

Göran Marby
President & CEO ICANN