[Gnso-epdp-team] legal advice and budget

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Thu May 23 15:58:07 UTC 2019

Before we start looking at a bigger pot to spend, lets first see if we
can cull needless questions and make better use of the funds we do have.

Volker

Am 23.05.2019 um 17:51 schrieb Greg Aaron:

> Janis, if more budget may be needed for legal advice, can you start
> the process of acquiring it?
>
> Marika noted in chat today: “Do also note that there is a limited
> budget available - passing all these questions on may take up most of
> that budget which might prevent follow up on any further questions the
> group may have.”
>
> This PDP is fundamentally about legal issues, and having access to
> legal advice is essential.  This is a place where ICANN should be
> spending resources.  Please see SAC104, where SSAC raised this issue
> to the Council last December:
>
> “2.2 Legal Advice v The EPDP has been largely about legal issues, but
> the EPDP team has not [always] had access to neutral, expert, outside
> legal advice. [Bird & Bird was not retained until late into Phase 1.]
> This is a notable omission given the consequences and regulatory
> complexity of the work. The SSAC urges the GNSO Council to re-examine
> this as further policy-making takes place in 2019 and beyond. This
> subject is a worthy place to spend ICANN budget given the priority and
> nature of the work, and a place to apply all the professional tools at
> ICANN’s disposal, in order to carry out ICANN’s responsibility to
> ensure the stable and secure operation of the Internet's unique
> identifier systems.
>
> … neutral legal advice would provide substantial benefit by fostering
> common understandings, consensus, and confidence in the
>
> deliberations and work product. In particular, it may help
> policy-makers understand the options available to them, given that
> bodies such as the European Data Protection Board and the national
> data commissioners are not in a position to answer many questions or
> evaluate policy proposals.”
>
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-104-en.pdf

Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager
*KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH*

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.