[Gnso-epdp-team] Proposed working definitions of the frequently used terms during the EPDP Phase 2

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at icannpolicy.ninja
Fri May 31 12:30:31 UTC 2019

Hi,

My understanding is that these working definitions are meant to be a helpful tool for EPDP Team members, when using the words defined - everybody will understand exactly what a word/phrase is being referred to, because a definition has been agreed upon. So I’m not opposed to having working definitions. I’ve found their use to be practically helpful in the past, and hope they could be moving forward in phase 2.

However, as discussed during yesterday’s meeting, I don’t find this proposed definition to be at all helpful. To be honest, I’m not even sure how to nail down what word is being defined in it. To me, it reads more like a stake in the ground for a policy outcome, which is very broad and that we are very far from reaching a conclusion on.

Like I said, I’m not even sure what is being defined, but the definition seems to cover the following:

- A request for access by third parties

“Access” is not defined in the proposed working definitions, although “Disclosure” is. “Right of access” is defined, but it might still be worthwhile to also define “access”, and make the difference between the EPDP Team’s use of this word vs “disclosure” clear to everyone. Use of “access” here without it itself being defined isn’t helpful in providing clarification to the intended use of the word. This is especially true since use of disclosure vs access is the whole reason why these working definitions are being proposed in the first place.

- The request may be for a full set or subset of non-public gTLD registration data

This is so incredibly vague. A working definition is meant to make things clearer, not more confusing. More specific, not more general. What purpose does having this definition cover both the full set as well as an unidentified subset(s) of gTLD registration data possibly serve? What is this seeking to clarify, and how does this achieve that goal?

- The request is compliant with a disclosure policy

Not helpful to refer to a disclosure policy that does not yet exist.

- The disclosure policy is compliant with GDPR

This is what we’re all trying to work towards, but we’re not there yet. I hope that nobody here is hoping we come up with a policy that is not compliant with GDPR. At best, this part of the definition is redundant, but what really bothers me with this is that it is presumptuous in a policy outcome that does not yet exist. I suppose it is relatively harmless to presume that a policy allows for requests (any type of requests) to be made by third parties, and remain GDPR-compliant (my impression is that it’s more the response to these requests that have to demonstrate compliance, not the requests themselves), but why is this all being crammed in to this proposed definition. I hope I’m not being thick, but I’m finding the point to this very elusive.

- The disclosure policy has been developed via the EPDP

Again…, this is what the EPDP Team’s objective is in phase 2, but right now the EPDP has not resulted in a GDPR-compliant disclosure policy yet.

Overall, I find this definition is presumptuous (especially concerning a hypothetical policy outcome), vague, and confuses/harms more than it clarifies/helps. I don’t believe we should even attempt to edit this. We should just drop it altogether.

Thanks.

Amr