[Gnso-epdp-team] ICANN Meets with Belgian Data Protection Authority

Journoud, Franck Franck_Journoud at motionpictures.org
Thu Feb 20 22:49:55 UTC 2020

Milton, I do agree that it’s not sufficiently clear what is meant by “centralization” in the blog post.

However, I think your assertion that centralization and automation allow “any accredited user to get personal data without reviews” is not well grounded:

  *   centralization would make oversight of decision-making infinitely easier and thus more effective than ICANN Compliance having to chase thousands of CPs;
  *   automation would provide an authoritative and detailed view of each decision and of the criteria used: what are the algorithm’s inputs, how are they weighted/organized, what’s the decision-tree, etc.;
  *   it’s not “any accredited user” who would get access, but only those who (in themselves and in their requests) satisfy all the elements of the policy;
  *   so in summary we’re talking about more and better, not fewer and worse, reviews.

One thing is for sure: these divergent interpretations of a short blog post only reinforce in my mind the need for a fuller and more detailed account of the meeting!

-Franck

Franck Journoud | VP, Tech Policy | MPA | E franck_journoud at motionpictures.org<mailto:franck_journoud at motionpictures.org> | O (202) 378-9127 | M (202) 285-7322