[Gnso-epdp-team] For your review - proposal for an SSAD Hybrid able to evolve to a Centralized and Automated Model + agenda for Thursday's meeting

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 23 14:30:35 UTC 2020

From: Janis Karklins <karklinsj at gmail.com>
>Staff will explain thinking behind the composition during the call and will point to the precedent.

I can think of some precedents, but they are all pretty bad ones:
 * counting African-Americans as 3/5 of a person in the original US constitution
* Not allowing women to vote
* gerrymandering legislative districts in order to create a majority for one party

You also wrote that the Steering Committee was a bad idea in general and could undermine community policy development. If so, could you think of anything instead providing that we would find a consensus on some kind of evolutionary model?

Yes, the Steering Committee is a bad idea, so we need not get mired in a debate about its composition. It is really an attempt to bypass the policy process, and so it is quite logical that there would be an attempt to disenfranchise key elements of the community as part of that.
To answer your question directly, I am not at all convinced that we need an “evolutionary model.” I think we define policies and procedures and we are done with it. We define a policy for what can be automated and what cannot be, and we stick to it.

Pls also consider last indication from the GAC that we should " automate to the greatest extent that is possible at the start and move towards automating a greater proportion of activities".

NCSG does not support this objective.