[Gnso-epdp-team] The final stretch

Matt Serlin matt at brandsight.com
Mon Jun 29 16:07:18 UTC 2020

Hi Janis (and team),

One positive of a virtual ICANN meeting is no jetlag so recovery seemed much easier this time 😊

Wanted to just ask a few questions on your note below to make sure I’m understanding everything correctly so if either Janis or staff could clarify, I’d greatly appreciate it…

  *   I thought we had been given an additional month (end of July) by the GNSO council to conclude our work? I understand Janis we will be losing you as our leader later this week, but I thought the plan was for Rafik to take over for the remainder of our time to get our work completed.
  *   Perhaps I’m reading your message incorrectly, but I believe it’s entirely possible we could complete our work without agreement on ALL topics, but still have a final report that included a number of recommendations that would have achieved consensus within the group. Obviously we are continuing to work on some of those stickier issues, but I believe it’s entirely possible for us to wrap up Phase 2 without agreement on everything so that whatever is included in the final report would be what’s presented to Council and ultimately the Board.
  *   Speaking on consensus, it’s not clear to me when we are going to proceed with doing a consensus call by all parties as we look to wrap up Phase 2. I think this is something we should plan to discuss in our meetings this week unless it’s clear to everyone else. And perhaps clarification on point one above will make this more clear.

And finally, I just wanted to thank you Janis for all of your leadership throughout this process as you wrap up your service this week regardless of the outcome. You’ve put in a tremendous amount of work to get us to this point and we all owe you our gratitude.

Best regards,
Matt