[Gnso-epdp-team] FW: Points of Order

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 16 02:30:48 UTC 2021

Just addressing Alan’s second point:

2. The Key Metrics Considerations part of the EPDP Charter requires
the we ensure that we will have metrics to determine the success of
our recommendations. As such, if we decide that we will not issue
policy recommendation on the legal/natural issue, but rather only
guidance, we must also include a policy requirement that contracted
parties report on whether or not they are actually following the
guidance. If we do not do that, there is no way to measure our
ultimate success.

If Legal / Natural differentiation is not mandatory, as I believe it will be and should be, then concepts such as “metrics to determine success” do not make a lot of sense to me. I do not support saddling the CP’s with (yet another) reporting requirement if it pertains to a non-mandatory action. What does it mean to “measure” the “success” of a non-binding recommendation? We can measure how many registrars do differentiate, we can categorize the ways they do it, we can measure a number of other things, but those measurements are best carried out through third party studies, not by individual reports of 700 registrars.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Georgia Institute of Technology
School of Public Policy
[IGP_logo_gold block]