[Gnso-epdp-team] FW: On the proposed guidance

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Apr 20 18:47:08 UTC 2021

> Obviously I can’t speak for Volker, but I want to try and respond with why I find Volker’s
> proposal intriguing.

I too am intrigued by this suggestion. Volker as I understand it proposed that instead of publishing the data as we used to do with “ye olde Whois” (love that term), we would make the data of those who flag themselves as legal persons available automatically to any registered SSAD user who requests it. Other requests would be available based on the review for legitimate purpose as originally envisioned.

As Marc suggests, going through SSAD eliminates a lot of abusers/bad actors or at least gives us some recourse against them, but still gives all the legitimate users easy access to data that does not need to be private. I would hope this option would be acceptable to the stakeholders who are arguing for a legal/natural distinction.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Georgia Institute of Technology
School of Public Policy