[Gnso-epdp-team] A short note on possible outcomes re Natural, Legal or Unspecified

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 6 14:05:54 UTC 2021

I also appreciate the nice logical summary of options, Steve.

Like Volker, however, I believe that you are overlooking the fact that we have debated these options for months and have arrived firmly at option 7 (there is no distinction between 7 and 8, by the way). Only 7 is possible, because that was the agreed outcome of phase 1 while we explored other options in Phase 2. In Phase 2 we discovered we cannot attain sufficient agreement to move off of that equilibrium.

Some EPDP members will recall that I personally indicated a willingness to move toward something like #6. This did not fly. Neither the Contracted Parties nor my own SG would accept it, and the GAC, ALAC and two CSG constituencies still wanted something more like 1 or 2.

The legal/natural issue is resolved; we are at 7. We need to accept this reality, and move on the develop an SSAD that will earn the support of all groups.

Dr Milton L Mueller, Professor

School of Public Policy

Georgia Institute of Technology

Internet Governance Project<https://internetgovernance.org>