[Gnso-epdp-team] Legal v. Natural Proposals

Caitlin Tubergen caitlin.tubergen at icann.org
Fri Jan 29 22:55:27 UTC 2021

Dear EPDP Team:

In an effort to continue the constructive progress on the legal vs. natural proposals, the staff support team has developed this google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N-3HyLJZTBq6tCVB4Ig3ws2Tfjb08RGFP1NTNe1MEGI/edit. As described in the background briefing document<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/153518176/P2A%20Background%20briefing%20paper%20legal%20vs%20natural%20-%207%20December%202020.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1608218451000&api=v2> that was presented during the first meeting, the leadership team has decided to first focus on best practices and proposed methodology regarding how to distinguish between legal and natural person registrations. After reviewing best practices and how differentiation could be done in practice, EPDP leadership believes the team will be better positioned to consider the question of whether the phase 1 recommendation can and should be modified. We don’t expect you to complete these documents yet as Laureen is still due to present part 2 of her proposal, but you are already welcome to provide any input you may have, or any feedback you have on this approach.

We note that a number of the other proposals put forward (see here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QlM4O_vwx7cQ11DJ_Lx2kqhyyRgDkMXG/edit#heading=h.gjdgxs>) are either similar or focus on specific parts of the proposal that Laureen presented during the call. We would like to ask those that put forward additional proposals that appear linked (Brian, Margie/Mark, Hadia/Alan) to indicate off-list whether they would still like to present their proposals separately or whether you consider these approaches already captured or subsumed by Laureen’s proposal.

For next week’s agenda, we will allot time for Laureen to introduce part 2 of her proposal, and Milton, Melina, and Tara to present their proposals. Additionally, we will allot time to any others who have indicated that they would still like to present their proposal if it is different from what Laureen presented.

Best regards,

Berry, Marika, and Caitlin