[Gnso-epdp-team] On the proposed guidance

King, Brian Brian.King at markmonitor.com
Wed Mar 24 16:47:35 UTC 2021

Hi Milton,

Thank you for the constructive intervention. Your point is well taken, and I can certainly see that from the RNH perspective.

One feature of data protection law related to your point is that it requires data controllers and processors to be able to demonstrate compliance with the law. A controller or processor could doubtfully demonstrate compliance with data protection law if they had not determined whether they were actually processing personal data. In fact, data protection professionals will tell you that you absolutely must determine what personal data you’re processing as the first step toward compliance with data protection law. It seems the policy question is: what, if anything, should contracted parties be required to do based on the status of the data? Is that right?

As always, we’re happy to work with you and look forward to finding consensus.

Brian J. King​
He/Him/His
Head of Policy and Advocacy, Intellectual Property Group

T +1 443 761 3726​
Time zone: US Eastern Time

clarivate.com<http://www.clarivate.com> | Accelerating innovation
Follow us on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/clarivate>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/clarivate?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>, Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/clarivate/> and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/clarivateofficial/?hl=en>