[Gnso-epdp-team] Updated Legal v. Natural Write-up

Caitlin Tubergen caitlin.tubergen at icann.org
Tue Mar 30 18:32:21 UTC 2021

Dear EPDP Team,

As discussed during our last meeting, the staff support team has reviewed and considered the input received during the call and via the Google Doc and has taken another stab at updating the legal/natural guidance write up. To facilitate review, you can find a clean version here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11AYCPVEKjF--Obp-okojggWv1Z4R2PBjvZFOGu4blTM/edit#heading=h.gjdgxs. We have also attached a redline version to provide further context and transparency. We hope this updated version strikes the right balance between the different views expressed. We wanted to point out and ask specific input on the following:

·                     An additional scenario was added by Brian K. that seemed to propose flagging data automatically for publication and allowing the registrant to correct this designation at a later stage. As a number of respondents pointed out, this seems contrary to the privacy by default principle. As a result, we have provisionally removed this scenario to allow Brian to further explain his proposal so that the group can consider adding it to the list of examples.

·                     Concerns have also been expressed about the last scenario listed, which originally came from the RrSG proposal. A number of updates have been made, especially in relation to the role of the registrant that may address some/all of these concerns, but if not, the group should consider whether or not this example should remain.
Of course, you are welcome to provide input on any of the other aspects of the updated write up. Please use the comment function to provide your suggestions instead of the redline function, as this will allow others to react to your suggestions and will avoid people rewriting others’ suggestions.

The deadline for input is Friday, 2 April. The idea is to get this document to a near final state in the course of next week so that it can be parked while the group reviews the responses to the legal advice and starts focusing on the other questions it has been asked to address.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Berry, Marika, and Caitlin