[Gnso-epdp-team] Notes and action items - EPDP Phase 2a Meeting #25 - 27 May 2021

Crossman, Matthew mmcross at amazon.com
Fri May 28 20:42:27 UTC 2021

All,

The RySG appreciates the Chair’s clarification that the Initial Report is intended to share progress and solicit input, and is not a representation of consensus on the proposed outputs. We also recognize the importance of timely completion of this initial stage of our work. With that in mind, if the team can agree on the following constructive suggestions to ensure that the report appropriately describes the state of the issues and facilitates community input on areas where there remains significant divergence, the RySG is willing to withdraw our “cannot live with” items as blockers for publication of the Initial Report.

  *   In general, the report should be restructured with the aim of soliciting community input rather than reporting specific outcomes. For example, each section should describe the issue/question presented, provide a description of the team’s views and areas of disagreement, and then clearly present questions to the community where we require additional input.
  *   Where the Initial Report includes specific recommendations, the text should clearly note that there is significant disagreement on each recommendation and that the team is soliciting community input to assist in resolving those disagreements. For clarity in obtaining feedback, we also suggest that the response to the charter questions from the GNSO (i.e., no changes to the status quo from Phase I) should become a standalone Recommendation #1.
  *   We propose the following questions for each of the recommendations (existing questions in the Initial Report can be incorporated into this list):
     *   New Rec 1 (answer to charter question):
        *   Is there new information or inputs that the Phase 2A team has not considered in assessing whether to make changes to the recommendation that Registrars and Registry Operators may, but are not obligated to, differentiate between legal and natural persons?
     *   New Rec 2 (GNSO Council monitoring):
        *   Is this recommendation necessary for the GNSO council in considering future policy work in this area? If yes, in what ways does this monitoring assist the Council?
     *   New Rec 3 (Standardized flag):
        *   Should the working group provide guidance to registries and registrars who choose to differentiate between legal and natural person registrations as to how they make that distinction in their systems?
        *   If yes, what field or fields should be used and what possible values should be included in the guidance?
     *   New Rec 4 (Differentiation guidance)
        *   Does the guidance as written provide sufficient information and resources to Registrars and Registry Operators who wish to differentiate?
        *   Are there additional elements that should be included?
        *   How useful is the legal guidance (substance and format) in assisting Registrars and Registry Operators in differentiating?
  *   As part of ensuring that we receive informed feedback from the community, out of context excerpts from the legal memos must be removed from the main body of the report. As we have noted, the legal memos are cumulative and rely on significant assumptions and analysis to reach a conclusion on risk. The full legal memos should be appended to the report to give the reader the full scope of the legal advice on differentiation, verification, mitigation, and the relevant risks.

To be clear, we continue to stand by the concerns and issues we have flagged. If not appropriately resolved, these concerns may prevent us from providing consensus support on the final recommendations. However, we intend our suggestions above as a constructive proposal to ensure that the Initial Report is published as a tool to assist in gathering additional feedback that may aid in the resolution of existing areas of divergence.

Look forward to discussing further.

Thanks,
Matt, Alan, Marc