[GNSO-EPDPP2-SmallTeam] Action item reminder & Question from ICANN Org

Anderson, Marc mcanderson at verisign.com
Tue Feb 15 13:46:15 UTC 2022

RE: Small team proposed questions – cost/benefits

All,

Questions 1 – 3 in the proposed questions google document all deal with
costs/benefits of the SSAD:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ip89qpS6D8bRWyA_rVFeT1ZCVEO3CQwr/edit.
Unless I’m missing it, the ODA doesn’t seem to include anything about
benefits.  It does provide information on costs but nothing on benefits.

This isn’t meant as criticism in any way.  I don’t think the intent of the
SSAD ODP was to consider benefits.  The scoping document doesn’t include
anything about benefits:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ssad-non-public-registration-data-odp-scoping-25mar21-en.pdf
The Board Letter to Council from 18 Feb
21(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/botterman-to-fouquart-18feb21-en.pdf)
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/fouquart-to-botterman-icann-board-22jan21-en.pdf)
provide further background on this.

Given that, I’m not sure that questions 1-3 are the right questions
(especially question 3).  They also don’t seem to map to the excerpts from the
board letter that are quoted above those questions, so I’m having a hard time
tracking the assignment.  I’ve heard from others that there are additional
questions about the cost estimates provided in the ODA.  While questions 1-3
could be modified to focus on cost estimates, I do note that the previous
section includes a table for Clarifying questions and one for information /
issues not covered.

I’m curious other’s thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Marc