[GNSO-EPDPP2-SmallTeam] Redaction vs privacy/proxy service

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Apr 24 19:51:12 UTC 2023

Folks,

Thanks for responding during today's call to my question regarding the
difference between a registrar responding with the name of a privacy or
proxy service versus the word "redacted."  I think there are still
outstanding questions to be resolved.

During the discussion an additional question arose in my mind, so here are
the questions I'm seeking answers to.

   - Under what circumstances may a registrar impose a privacy or proxy
   service to hide the registration data?  Some possible answers:

   1. It's entirely up to the registrar.  Different registrars may have
      different policies.  The registrant has no say.  (I doubt this
is the case
      for any registrar, but I'm including it for completeness.)

      2. A registrar may choose to impose a privacy or proxy service by
      default, but the registrant is informed and may choose not to have it
      imposed.

      3. A registrar may give the registrant the choice of having the
      registration protected by the registrar's privacy or proxy service.

   - Under what circumstances will a registrar respond to a request with
   "redacted" versus with the name of the privacy or proxy service?

   - What recourse does the requester have in each case?

Thanks,

Steve