[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Closed Generics Feedback Request - On Mailing List

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KathyKleiman.com
Wed Apr 12 16:52:30 UTC 2023

Hi Melissa,

My answers below. I do have some questions about the Information you/we
are proposing to share with the GNSO Council. I think we can be broader
and more inclusive of ideas already discussed*.*

Timeline:

1. Fine.

2. April 26th fine.

3. April 19th, the early call I can make. I may not be able to attend a
later call, but support its scheduling if others do. OK for another
staff member to step in - although we'll miss you!

*/Increasing transparency/*

Assuming the group agrees upon a framework, once that work is shared
with the broader community would you like to increase transparency into
the work you’ve done? If so, options include:

 1. Open the wiki page, making call recordings and notes publicly
    available. ==> *I think once we release the version to circulate to
    the Community at the end of the month, we can open things up. We are
    still covered by our agreed-upon confidentiality and practices now,
    and to get to the finish line of our Framework for circulation by
    the end of the month, we should not change our agreed-upon rules of
    operation. I do not think we should open the current drafts we are
    working on - for the very reasons we discussed all along. *
 2. Allow observers to attend future calls, including the two sessions
    scheduled for ICANN77. => *Starting after our publication at the end
    of April (which I think is what you mean).*

*/Information to share with GNSO Council while you deliberate on
substantive framework elements/*

Melissa wrote: <<

“To the extent this group agrees upon a framework, the expectation is
that it will include types of things/information that will be requested
of applicants to be included in the application, elements that will be
evaluated in the application process, and protections following
implementation, likely PICs. The dialogue group is also likely to
provide a list of policy areas where the policy process needs to do
further work to fill in gaps within the framework.”>>

*==> I think we are too detailed here, including with details we have
not agreed to (and truly don't need at this time). I suggest the
following abbreviated language (for the reasons below): **
*

“To the extent this group agrees upon a framework, the expectation is
that it will include types of things/information that will be requested
of applicants to be included in the application, elements that will be
evaluated in the application process, and protections following
implementation [add: over the course of the gTLD contract]. The dialogue
group is also likely to provide a list of policy areas where the policy
process needs to do further work to fill in gaps within the framework.”>>

*
*

*==> The change: Let's delete "like PICs" as we have not agreed on it at
all. What we discussed is putting post-contract obligations into the
Registry Agreement, and we followed that with discussion(s) of where
these ongoing registry obligations would go, including at least two
discussions (I think) of _Specification 13, _for .BRAND gTLDs (the other
group of closed gTLDs), where they lay everything out clearly for their
initial and ongoing obligations. We also discussed that PICs/Public
Interest Commitments might be a very messy place to put these important
ongoing closed generic gTLD obligations. While we may include some ideas
in our Framework and its explanatory documents, for the GNSO Council, I
think these too words are drilling down on details beyond our scope. If
we delete "like PICs," I'm good with this - and support this message to
Council.
*

Best regards,

Kathy