[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Closed Generics Updates - 14 April 2023

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Tue Apr 18 20:02:18 UTC 2023

Thanks John.  I can live with your number 2 If all of those acts are predicated in violation of national laws.

In other words, if I were to rewrite your #2 as I am ok with it being interpreted, it would be:

.            For “non anti-competitive behaviour”, applicants must commit that its use of this closed generic gTLD will not be used to violate applicable national laws prohibiting unfair methods of competition.  This includes, but is not limited to, , such as collusion, restraints of trade that prohibit third parties from supplying or offering to supply goods or services, or otherwise monopolistically controlling, limiting, or restricting the supply of goods or services.

In other words, it would not be for ICANN to determine what is “anti-competitive”, but rather such determinations would be made by courts of national jurisdiction.  If they found a violation of law, then ICANN would have to ensure the registry takes remedial actions.  ICANN Compliance should never be in the position of having to determine whether an action is ”anti-competitive” in any jurisdiction.

Hopefully this is what you meant John.  If so, I can support.  If not, it is a red line for me to have ICANN compliance act as a substitute for regulator of national laws.

Sincerely,

Jeff

[cid:image001.png at 01D9720F.2492B2D0]
Jeffrey J. Neuman