[gnso-gac-closed-generics] A Public Interest vs the Global Public Interest

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 14 22:31:00 UTC 2023

This message is being sent on behalf of both Greg and me.

We have already had some discussion on whether the test for a closed generic TLD should be simply serving A public interest, or in the Global public Interest. The GAC Beijing advice use the former term, but with the new Bylaws following the Accountability exercise and the more recent Board Global Public Interest Framework, the focus has moved towards considering the Global public interest.

Our group is clearly divided on how to proceed.

During the Washington F2F meeting, Alan Barrett suggested something that seemed a very appropriate compromise. Specifically (if I got it right) that a closed generic TLD needed to satisfy A public interest, but that it must not go against the Global public interest.

Clearly the devil is in the details regarding how we define and then evaluate these characteristics, but this balance seems to allow a lower standard of A public interest, as long as there are not competing public interests that would be harmed.

I do not recall that we really discussed Alan's suggestion in any depth, nor did it seem to make the public or internal summaries, or be explicitly included in the items to be discussed.

Greg and I strongly suggest that Alan Barrett's suggestion be fully explored as a way of achieving a compromise over how we define the public interest for closed generic TLDs.

Alan