[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Kathy's Use Cases

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Fri Jan 13 04:00:10 UTC 2023

Thank you for this Kathy.  But the criteria you have given are for "Community TLDs" which is not synonymous with a closed generic.    If a community wanted to operate for the benefit of that community, it would not need this new "closed generic" category.  It would simply apply as a community.

If your use case is that the US Polo Association that applied as a community for .polo said it represents the entire polo community, but it will only allow registrations by the US Polo Association members and no one else, then that in theory could be a "Closed Generic", but by definition it would fail a community analysis because the eligibility requirements for a string are not reasonably related to the community (which is polo in general).   Stated another way, operating as closed generic does not benefit the community necessarily, but rather benefits the organization and its users (which may be some of the community, but not all).

My point is that we should not be using the community criteria in the closed generic discussion.  They are two separate concepts that need to be destinct.

I would encourage us to look more at the proposed use of the TLD and how a closed generic can be used in a manner that can serve a public interest goal.  Focusing on the WHO I believe takes us down a rabbit hole in my view.

In that vein it occurred to me that we have spent a lot of time on the who because our examples were all established institutions, associations, IGOs, etc.  But today I came up with a cool Closed Generic idea which I have much more flushed out.  But the short version is this:

I start a company to compete with ancestry.com and I want a TLD for .familytree.  I set up a portal that is able to aggregate data from each of the DNA/genealogy services, census data, newspapers, cemeteries, etc. when a user signs up for my service and consents to link their accounts to those other services.  I set up my family tree on neuman.familytree and I grant access to whomever I want to be able to see my data, but also where applicable to import portions of my family tree into theirs and I can export their family tree data into mine.   So my aunt/uncle/cousins whose last name is Lynn has Lynn.familytree where I can find their data and import the potions that relate to my family tree.  Domain Names are only owned by my company that licenses the use of the .familytree domain names to paid subscribers of my service.

This example has some unique aspects that we previously have not really focused on:

  1.   The benefit to the registry is purely commercial
  2.  I am a new start up business and not an association or large commercial player
  3.  Benefits are accrued to my members because they are satisfied customers and can easily enable others to find them (when they want to be found).

 Sincerely,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Founder & CEO
JJN Solutions, LLC