[gnso-gac-closed-generics] Closed Generics - Updates for 3 April Call

Melissa Peters Allgood melissa.allgood at icann.org
Fri Mar 31 20:59:56 UTC 2023

Hello all,

Since our last call, I’ve had the opportunity to caucus with a number of you regarding our approach to substance of the framework, as well as process-related needs and concerns. I’ve heard that many of you need a closed generics framework that encapsulates enough substance as to be considered credible by your community groups, remaining policy development work notwithstanding.

As it is my job to ensure that I do all possible to create space for meaningful and productive conversations, I ask we pivot our approach to the Discussion Draft – Preliminary Framework for Closed Generic gTLDs v2. <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wtLVcyWhyrCaYl1iqlAncaIyrqpS--0aPCTjpwMue7I/edit>  I would like to start the 3 April call on page 9, Applying for a Closed Generic gTLD. This section tackles many of the public interest considerations that are essential to reaching your framework goals. If you haven’t yet fully reviewed this section, I ask you do so now.

We will move bullet by bullet through this section. I will first take comments from the document and ask if anyone has any questions on the text. I request any subsequent discussion is limited to new information and/or clarification.  This is not the time to relitigate any point, but rather to identify where the group has shared understanding and where you don’t. I will then ask for your green/red reaction to the text under discussion. Your inputs will be captured and I will ask those who abstain or react with red for explanation. Once we’ve gone through the entire document, framework elements with broad shared understanding will form the basis of the final framework. You will have the opportunity to react to the framework as a whole before it moves to the broader community.

During this call we will revisit the updated proposed schedule and will reserve time for any AOB.

This is a challenging topic and a new way of collaboration. I sincerely appreciate your continued dedication and hard work.

Melissa