[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Threshold Issues: Data sources for IGOs & INGOs, Registrants

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Mon Aug 11 21:01:27 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Just to followup on our conference call, it might be useful if we had
access to a database of IGOs and INGOs, which we could then survey in order
to obtain primary research data. This could then be used to help answer
threshold questions (such as whether the data indicates that the scale of
any domain name abuse is sufficient to warrant changes to existing curative
RPMs, etc).

One link I had posted in the chat room was for:

http://www.uia.org/yearbook

which is a database of over 66,000 IGOs and INGOs. However, it costs
$3,030/yr for an annual subscription (and it's unclear whether that
database can be shared amongst multiple members of the working group).

WIPO itself maintains a public Article 6ter database at:

http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/en/6ter/

(simply clicking "Search" without putting any data into the fields yields
3027 records)

Similarly, doing a search at the USPTO, via:

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

(and then click Trademark Search, Basic Word Mark Search (New User), and
then  perform a search of "6ter" with a field of "ALL") provides a list of
735 such marks registered in the USA.

TMView is another tool for researching marks in many countries, see:

https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome.html

Canada's TM database is searchable via:

http://cipo.gc.ca/

Of course, it is insufficient to simply survey IGOs and INGOs. We should
also be reaching out to domain name registrants, to get their input/data on
relevant questions (e.g. have they been accused of cybersquatting, have
they received C&Ds, UDRPs, URS proceedings, lawsuits, whether those
accusations had merit, how they used their short domain names, legal
expenditures, etc.).

There are tools to extract the contact data from the public WHOIS records
on a bulk basis to form a data set, although I don't use them myself (as a
domain name registrant, I regularly receive bulk mailings from others,
though, who've obtained the contact info via WHOIS).

There are tools like UDRPSearch.com to find historical UDRP cases involving
IGOs, INGOs, and registrants of short acronyms, etc. PACER exists to find
US court cases, although perhaps some of the law firms participating in
this working group (or ICANN itself) have access to superior paid tools,
like Westlaw, Lexis Nexis, etc. CanLII.org is a public database of Canadian
court cases.

I'm guessing most folks here are already familiar with sites like
DomainTools.com or ZFBot.com to do research on domain names matching
various strings.

The OpenCorporates site maintains an index of corporations in numerous
jurisdictions, see:

http://opencorporates.com/

Perhaps others have ideas on additional sources of data that might be
helpful to this working group.