[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Food for thought on the "standing" requirement and sovereign immunity

Paul@law.es ZIMBRA paul at law.es
Fri Dec 12 09:13:59 UTC 2014

Thanks Mary,

I note that your text includes footnotes.  Can you kindly provide the full text including any notes.

As for considering the point, even assuming there is substance to the possible amendment, it requires substantial background work (see belo) and I thus continue the suggestion that it be tabled until 2015.  I think the discussion as to the Sov. Immunity issue will consume the time available during next call.

as to the amendment:

1.  As to the 6ter reference, my initial comments are:

       It is duplicative of any coverage under trademark laws.
       It also precludes any analysis as to whether it is capable of TM protection under applicable law (the lack of vetting is oft cited as a reason for not allowing US state tms).

2.  As for the treaty coverage, my initial comments are:

       Any such treaty would be required to be either unanimous or agreed to by the states wherein the registrar, registrant and complainant reside.  Otherwise there would be no basis in law to provide foundation.  For example, would a reference in a treaty as between Mexico and Guatemala provide a sufficient basis?

      What type of treaties would be included?  Tax treaties, trade agreements, etc??

      It would seriously expand the complexity of UDRP/URS as panels would need to be aware of all of the various treaties between the various member states AND the legal status of such treaties (e.g. Whether ratified, whether or not exceptions have been noted, etc).

Paul Keating