[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] PLEASE RESPOND ASAP -- Revised Draft of Letter to Council regarding GAC Communique

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Nov 5 22:45:38 UTC 2014

Hello Phil, Paul and everyone,

On the procedural/substantive topic, please note that as part of the scoping
exercise for a Policy Development Process (PDP) on a review of the UDRP in
2011, ICANN received a lot of information and community feedback regarding
substantive and procedural matters related to the UDRP. The WIPO Arbitration
and Mediation Center and the National Arbitration Forum also assisted staff
with a webinar to assess these issues, and provided input via a survey of
the UDRP providers.

Although the GNSO Council eventually decided to NOT proceed with a review of
the UDRP at the time, deciding instead to have a further Issue Report done
in 2015 in respect of all the current rights protection mechanisms (RPMs),
including those developed for the New gTLD Program (such as the URS), the
comments and information received continue to be useful. In addition, the
GAC also provided a statement at the time recommending a review take place
only after some experience has been gleaned from the launch of New gTLDs.

You¹ll find the public comments, WIPO, NAF and other provider survey
Final Issue Report:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/udrp/udrp-final-issue-report-03oct11-en.pdf

The GNSO Council¹s decision to postpone the UDRP review and to possibly take
up a fuller review of all RPMs can be found here:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201112

Once again, I hope that this information is helpful.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong
Senior Policy Director