[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] IGOs

Nat Cohen ncohen at telepathy.com
Thu Nov 6 15:08:26 UTC 2014

Paul,

Thanks for raising these many excellent points that get to the heart of the
challenge facing this WG.

Until you offered the example of "OlympicPeninsulaCampingSites.com", it had
not occurred to me that there is no clearly defined group of domains that
would be subject to any new IGO CRP.  The key factor as to whether an IGO
CRP would be applicable is not the nature of the domain name, but simply
whether the Complaint was brought by an IGO.

This raises its own set of questions and problems.  Assuming a new IGO CRP
is adopted, a domain such as "OlympicBurgers.com" could be subject to the
IGO CRP if the complaint was brought by the IOC, but would also be subject
to the UDRP if the Complaint were brought by a burger restaurant named
"Olympic Burgers".  If an IGO CRP is adopted, would IGOs be required to use
the IGO CRP, or would they have the option of applying to the standard UDRP
if they wished?  Would this create an opportunity for forum shopping where
IGOs could choose whichever CRP was most in their favor?

We could therefore have the possibility of one domain being subjected to
multiple CRPs with conflicting standards, and also the possibility of IGOs
have a range of CRP options in targeting a particular domain.

Based on your discussion of Article 6ter, it appears that it grants to
holders of symbols and emblems a "negative right" rather than an
"affirmative ownership right".  In other words, it grants a right to
prevent others from using a similar symbol or emblem in a confusing fashion
rather than granting to the user of the symbol or emblem any affirmative
ownership right to that symbol or emblem.

Is there any discussion in Article 6ter as to whether the rights granted
therein can be transferred or sold?  Trademark rights can be sold and
assigned.  If an entity covered by Article 6ter ceases using a symbol or
emblem, can the protections be transferred to another entity?

I've read that trademarks are intended primarily to benefit consumers,
rather than the company that owns the trademark, as the goal is to prevent
consumer confusion.  It appears that the purpose of the Article 6ter
protections are similar.

As Paul has raised, could Article 6ter protections be treated as common law
trademark rights under the UDRP?  It appears that the goals of Article
6ter, trademark protections, and the UDRP are all primarily to prevent
consumer confusion.  Given these similarities, wouldn't the Article 6ter
protections fit under the concept of common law trademarks?

If Article 6ter protections are not equivalent to common law trademarks,
then again as Paul has raised, what rights do they grant to IGOs beyond a
commitment among the signatories to prevent confusingly similar uses?

How would an IGO CRM look any different from the UDRP, and how would the
analysis be different?

Another wrinkle is that there is not necessarily consistency across those
countries that are signatories of Article 6ter as to which signs and
emblems deserve protection-

"29. Article 6ter does not provide for a procedure for resolving
differences of opinion as to objections to emblems or signs communicated
under that Article. To settle disputes between States, recourse may be had
to the procedures on disputes contained in Article 28 of the Paris
Convention, if the provision is applicable between the States involved.

30. As long as the objection stands, the State which raised the objection
is not obliged to protect the affected emblems or signs."

How would an IGO CRP address the lack of uniform protections across
signatories?

The Red Cross (and I expect the IOC) are specifically excluded from
coverage by Article 6ter as they are protected elsewhere-

"However, signs of this kind are excluded from the scope of the provision
if they are already the subject of international agreements in force which
are intended to ensure their protection."

"See, for instance, Article 44 of the Geneva Convention for the
amelioration of the condition of the wounded and sick in armed forces, of
August 12, 1949. This provision protects the emblems of the Red Cross on a
white ground, the words “Red Cross” or “Geneva Cross” and analogous
emblems."

Regards,

Nat