[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] On creating a UDRP-like procedure for IGOs, and on 6ter processes

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Nov 6 17:27:49 UTC 2014

Hello again everybody,

I just wanted to follow up on Paul¹s, Petter¹s and George¹s recent emails
with a few additional clarifications.

APPLICABILITY TO EXISTING (LEGACY) DOMAINS
* Our WG charter (based on the scoping done in the Preliminary and Final
Issue Reports) acknowledges that the URS is not currently a Consensus
Policy. As such, it only applies to new gTLDs. The UDRP (as a Consensus
Policy) is binding on all ICANN Contracted Parties via the incorporation
clause found in all registry and registrar agreements (new and existing). In
considering a dispute resolution procedure (DRP) ­ whether a ³modified
UDRP/URS² or a ³new² DRP ­ our WG will therefore have to bear in mind that
if this is in fact the final recommendation(s), it may be in the form of a
Consensus Policy binding on all contracted parties.
UDRP vs URS vs New DRP
* Our Charter also contemplates that we may distinguish between a UDRP and
URS, so for instance the WG could decide to only amend one but not the other
(among other options). This is a topic we will need to put on the WG agenda
at a future meeting.
* In the previous GNSO scoping effort (2007), draft language was in fact
prepared for a possible separate DRP. We have included this document on the
WG wiki:
* Our WG Charter also contemplates that should a separate DRP be
recommended, it must be narrowly tailored and applicable only to the
protected organizations.
ARTICLE 6ter PROCESS
* As George and Paul have noted previously, protection under 6ter is not
automatic, and even after the notification is filed a country/government can
object to it. My understanding is that in many jurisdictions, 6ter
protection is effective only if there is national law effectuating 6ter
protection in that jurisdiction (e.g. by requiring a trademark registration
or other form of statutory protection). The WG will likely want to address
this as part of its discussion on standing in relation to any form of
amended or new DRP.
CREATING NEW LEGAL RIGHTS
* This problem was acknowledged early on in the WIPO-2 Process (2001-2).
However, do note that 6ter itself contains limitations in that: (1)
protection of the IGO name/acronym is against use without authorization as a
trademark or as elements of trademarks; AND (2)  the use is of such a nature
as to either suggest to or mislead the public as to a possible connection
between the user and the organization concerned. In considering whether or
not to amend the UDRP/URS or develop a new DRP, these limitations may be of
assistance to our WG.
* It is also open to the WG to develop specific and additional express
defenses for any DRP (as was spelled out in the URS, for example).
I realize these do not answer the many excellent questions that have been
raised (nor are they supposed to), and do not address the tricky issues of
immunity/appeal or costs, but I hope they are helpful as background
nonetheless.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong