[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Rescheduling WG call this week (message from Petter and Phil)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Jul 21 01:15:09 UTC 2015

[Sending the email below on behalf of Petter Rindforth and Philip Corwin, WG
co-chairs]

Dear WG members,

Please be informed that after consultation with ICANN staff we have decided
to reschedule our Working Group meeting, originally planned for this
Wednesday 22 July, to end-July or early August. We are informed that the
³small group² meeting between representatives of the IGO coalition and ICANN
Board members was a positive one, and that an updated proposal is likely to
be forwarded to the GAC and the GNSO for their review and action by
September. This is in line with the GAC¹s Buenos Aires Communique and the
objectives of the ³small group² process when it was formed to discuss the
initial March 2014 proposal from the Board¹s New gTLD Program Committee
(NGPC). The IGO coalition and Board are discussing issues that extend beyond
but are related to our work.

With the aim to facilitate further progress of the policy development
process, and to take into account the context of our work, which includes
the need to resolve the outstanding inconsistencies between the GNSO¹s
initial policy recommendations on so-called ³preventative² protections and
GAC advice received on the topic, we plan to hold a call very soon, along
with Jonathan Robinson as GNSO Chair, Thomas Rickert as chair of the
original GNSO PDP on IGO protections, and Mason as the GAC-GNSO liaison,
with Chris Disspain (Board/NGPC member) and Thomas Schneider (GAC Chair)
within the coming week. The aim of the call is for us to receive a
first-hand update on the work of the ³small group² and discuss the likely
progress within the GNSO, GAC and Board on the overall topic of IGO
protections, as well as how this WG relates to the larger picture.  As such,
we believe that it would be most effective and productive if we were to have
our next WG meeting following this call.

We will provide more details and a tentative time for the next WG call as
soon as possible.

Best regards,

Petter and Phil