[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Letter on IGO protections

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Wed Jul 22 20:26:13 UTC 2015

As previously discussed:

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-igo-ingo-crp/2015-July/000382.html

GAC advice shouldn't be given any deference, given it is essentially
political in nature, and not built on a foundation of a careful
analysis of facts and law, as the Independent Review panel decided.
Some folks appear to be ignoring that decision, and are simply
repeating the mistakes of the past, instead of reforming their
processes.

As for the statement regarding reconciling the NGPC (new gTLD program
committee) proposal with the GAC advice, this seems immaterial to our
work, which would decide a consensus policy for *all* gTLDs (not just
new gTLDs). It seems to me that this is just an attempt to hijack our
work. Some folks would be happy to see our hard work go to waste, and
force through a policy for new gTLDs, which would then be applied to
"legacy" gTLDs like .com/net/org.

Indeed, as we saw with .travel, .pro and .cat w.r.t. to the URS, some
ICANN staff have been trying to use contract "negotiations" to
implement "policies" through registry contracts, instead of going
through the proper GNSO policy development processes that protect all
stakeholders (particularly registrants, who are not at the negotiating
table when ICANN staff and registry operators are devising their
agreements which directly impact their rights).

On another note, all of these "concerns" from IGOs were based on an
assumption back in 2014 that new gTLDs would be in high demand, and
therefore there'd be a huge risk that others would tarnish their
brands via cybersquatting.  However, we now know those assumptions
were wrong. We have the actual data, and don't need to rely on faulty
projections. ICANN itself had estimated in 2014 there would be 33
million new gTLD domains registered. We know now that there are
approximately 6 million. Indeed, since many of those were free
giveaways, and defensive registrations, the "real" number might be
more like 2 million:

http://domainincite.com/18857-new-gtld-sales-miss-icann-estimates-by-a-mile
https://ntldstats.com/registrar/146-GoDaddycom-LLC

(I arrive at 2 million, by basically doubling GoDaddy's numbers, which
are more "legitimate" than most other sources, and given that they
have a 40 to 50% share of new domain registration volume for legacy
gTLDs like com/net/org)

So, with IGOs "risks" lower by between 80% and 95% (depending on which
numbers one uses), I really wonder why IGOs are still pressing this
issue. If they have facts and data that we don't have, they should be
sharing them with us, in order to be able to quantify costs and
benefits..