[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Rescheduling WG call this week (message from Petter and Phil)

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Fri Jul 24 02:03:36 UTC 2015

Thanks Mary. As always, this is quite helpful.

I believe that what some WG members are asking is whether the call that Petter and I will be, consistent with ICANN's commitment to transparency in the policy development process, on shall be recorded or transcribed; I don't believe there was an expectation that last week's meeting in Paris hosted by OECD had been so.

So that's what we need staff to check on. If there is a compelling argument for not doing so then the fallback is to Petter and I with staff assistance to provide a comprehensive report to the WG -- the other parties should understand that Petter and I would be participating in the call as the chosen representatives of this WG and have an obligation to share the discussion with its members.

As for this part of your email ---

                As such, the proposal referred to by the OECD in its recent letter is

                expected to cover both the ³preventative² and ³curative² aspects of IGO

                acronym protection, per the original NGPC proposal and the subsequent

                discussions and letters between the NGPC and the GNSO Council. In line

                with the express statement in the letter that the proposal will be

                forwarded ³for the GNSO¹s consideration, this basically would result in

                the GNSO Council being requested once again to take up the question of

                possible amendments to its previously adopted recommendations concerning

                the ³preventative² protections (per the NGPC¹s June 2014 request) and this

                WG asked to consider the ³curative² aspects of the proposal as part of its

                work in developing its consensus recommendations.

--As you noted elsewhere in your message, the "focus" of the NGPC is the NEW gTLD program (that is what the N stands for) and, so far as I am aware, they have no authority to address legacy gTLD matters. Further, as regards legacy gTLDs, I know of nothing in the Bylaws that legitimizes a policy proposal assembled by the Board, GAC and staff being forwarded for GNSO consideration. The matter of CRP for IGO acronyms at gTLDs (and most certainly legacy gTLDs) is quite clearly a policy matter,  or else the Council resolution establishing this WG is illegitimate.

Please understand that I am not prejudging the discussion on the call that Petter and I have not yet had; and also please know that your service to this WG has been exemplary and that none of this reply is directed at you personally. But I am deeply concerned about the possibility of two competing proposals being issued as regards second level CRP for IGO acronyms, one from a group populated by IGOs that have refrained from meaningfully engaging with a WG that is dedicated to protecting the full scope of their lawful rights, and another from this very WG which is based upon consensus agreement on relevant legal and policy facts and resulting considerations.  The Council should never be placed in the position of having to choose between two competing proposals, and I know of nothing in the Bylaws that condones such a situation.

Best regards,

Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal

Virtualaw LLC