[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Two cases where IGOs filed trademark lawsuits in the USA

Paul@law.es ZIMBRA paul at law.es
Wed Mar 11 21:31:07 UTC 2015

Thank you George,

I do want to clarify something.   There are only two ways an IGO could be faced with the issue of "Mutual Jurisdiction" and a threat of loss of immunity:

1.  IGO files UDRPS and respondent files legal action during or following the UDRP.

2.  A complainant files against an IGO (the IGO being the respondent) and the IGO initiates litigation.  This would be a very rare situation.

The most likely is #1.  In that case it is the IGO who initiated the proceeding to protect a commercially used intangible right.  The only issues I see are:

     A.  Does the IGO have immunity as concerns commercial use of a mark and/or enforcement of its trademark rights?  I believe the prevailing authority is no and the research will bear this out.

      B.  If the response to "A" is no then are we willing to create a system granting the, immunity? I am completely against doing so.

Paul Keating