[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] The Scope of IGO 'immunity'

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Mar 11 21:44:57 UTC 2015

Hello George and everyone,

Once more, thanks to George for finding relevant additional resources and
starting a substantive discussion. The Canadian case in question is
definitely one of the few cases that directly considers and applies the
³functional immunity² approach that staff mentions in our Briefing Paper
(sent separately to the WG). It also shows the diversity of approach taken
across national courts in that while Canada clearly subscribes to the view
that there is no customary international law that governs IGO immunity,
this is not necessarily the view in other countries (e.g. the
Netherlands). In addition, the Convention that established the IGO in this
case expressly delineates its immunity in a particular Contracting State
as being governed by the relevant agreement between the IGO and that
Contracting State - as such, the scope of its protection in Canada had to
be interpreted in accordance with the government order that contains the
³extent required for its functions² language.

This language reflects, but does not mirror exactly, that used in the UN
conventions, which refer to those immunities ³as are necessary for the
fulfillment of its purposes². It may be, therefore, that in a similar case
arising in a different jurisdiction where a different national
law/regulation is interpreted, or in which the IGO in question derives its
immunity protection from a different source other than a bilateral
agreement, the scope of that IGO¹s immunity can be quite different as
well. It seems therefore that this case emphasizes the lack of
universality and consistency in relation to the scope of IGO immunity,
which is also the main point made in the staff briefing paper.

The case also highlights the difference - as George noted - between the
³major² IGOs and the smaller ones. For instance, the UN and its
specialized agencies are protected by the two international treaties on
their immunities and privileges. Other IGOs, however, may be in the same
position as NAFO was in Canada (i.e. dependent on the terms of the
bilateral treaty with Canada) or otherwise subject to a particular
country¹s law on this matter. Again, this underscores the lack of a single
standard across national courts.

Cheers
Mary

Mary Wong