[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Follow up questions for IGO small group on sovereign immunity

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Wed Mar 18 10:39:56 UTC 2015

Mary, please kindly include this in the file for the WG and circulate to
the extent this email does not reach all participants.

I agree with George.

The most striking thing about both the research report and the proposed
letter was that it used as foundational points, asserted "facts" that were
not substantiated.  Examples:

1.	Those raised by George below.

2.	Statements that IGOs have complained about the current set up with
Mutual Jurisdiction.  I have seen this phrase before but have never seen a
listing of those NGOs and INGOs who have raised this issue.  Before
embarking on anything we should ask for those complaining parties to be
identified.  THEN we should compare that number and type with the universe
of IGOs/NGOs to see if this is approaching a serious issue.

3.	Limitation of issues.  The issue is not merely jurisdictional immunity
but also includes liability immunity.  In any action brought by a losing
respondent, the respondent (now the plaintiff) has the ability to claim
damages, including attorneys' fees and costs.

	A.	Jurisdictional Immunity.  In those US courts having dealt with this
issue (including parvi.org (see attached complaint, Default Motion and
Final Judgment).  The judgment resulted in a 100K for interference and 27K
for attorneys' fees and costs.  The City of Paris (though not an NGO/INGO
has a long history of such behavior.

	B.	Liability immunity.  RECOVERY of any judgment is subject to specific
collection rules that vary by jurisdiction.  For example, in the US, the
FISA governs collection as well and requires an additional level of
service of the judgment so that the defendant (now judgment debtor) can
assert immunity claims as to itself or any specific assets.

	C.	Tied to the above, we  have no real understanding of how litigious the
NGOs/INGOs have been.  A search of the US litigation (via PACER) would be
very time-consuming but doable by ICANN Staff.  This would obviously not
answer the issue as to non-US jurisdictions.  I thus believe that any
letter should request not only the identity of the complaining NGOs/INGOs,
but also request that they provide a listing of any and all litigation or
other quasi-judicial proceedings they have been involved in.  To the
extent ICANN staff, the ICANN legal dept. or the GAC is aware (or can find
out) the answer should be given as to any other NGO/INGO
litigation/quasi-litigation activities as well.

Without the above it is impossible to understand the real nature of the
asserted "problem".  Unless the problem is indeed prevalent, I would
suggest that any change is unwarranted given the potential of disruption
and cost of implementation (again remembering that the UDRP is based upon
contract and ANY change requires modification of many contracts at many
levels (Registry?ICANN, Registry/Registrar and Registrar/Registrant).

4.	The entire purpose of the UDRP was premised on the foundational stone
that the UDRP was not intended to grant greater rights in the cyber-world
than those which existed in the "real" world (Reference WIPO:  Final
Report of the WIPO Internet Domain Name Process - copy attached).  As a
result I see no reason to provide any particular participant in the UDRP
with any greater rights or privileges then they would have in the "real"
world.  In the real world, an NGO/INGO must pursue legal claims of
trademark infringement using the judicial process.  To do so they must
weigh the importance of asserting their "rights" against the risk that
such assertive behavior entails.

Thus, the proposed letter IMHO requires substantial revision to include
these types of comments so that we are able to  obtain a clear picture in
the form of any response and not merely a generalized statement of desires
that are unsupported by any factual or legal basis.

Regards,

Paul Keating